Saturday, September 10, 2005

How many people does it take to fix a mommy's dinner??

Sorry I've been too busy this week to post. I have a super crazy day tomorrow, so I thought I'd post right now while I have the chance.

Well, Thursday was my big anticipated Mother's Day out. I had the kids packed and ready with exactly the perfect amount of time for us to get to church by 9:30. They had their bags, their lunches and their bedding. We take it to the car. Load the car and I snap them into their car seats. Since my car keys weren't hanging where they usually do, I assumed they were in my purse.

I was wrong.

I run back to the appartment to search for them. I remember that Andrew had traded cars with me the day before in order for me to go to rehearsal at church. I look on his night stand where he ALWAYS empties his pockets.
NO KEYS!

I called him at work. No answer. I tried again and then again, but still no answer. (I am on my car phone and back outside with the kids, so don't worry Grani)
I called grandma and she said she could bring me the spare.

So, part of my free morning was eating up, but I am determined to get the kids to church and start my day of freedom. We get there and they walk into their class rooms with no problem.

I did have errands to do, BUT, I was able to eat lunch all by myself, AND, I talked on the phone with NO interruptions!! It was fantastic!

Friday we had a birthday party to attend. It was at 4:30, so it was just me and the kids. This is a place like Chuck E. Cheese, but BIGGER. Amazingly I am able to fix 2 dinner plates for them from the buffet. (Just so you know, it is kinda hard to balance two plates on one tray while keeping an eye on your 3 year old and 20 month old in order for them to not get tripped on.)

They sit and eat with all the other kids and families. Gibson gobbles up his Mac n' cheese so I say, "I'll go get some more."
I come back.
They are fine.
So, I leave again to get myself some food.. As I'm putting food on my plate, I turn around and my friend Carrie has wet faced, red eyed Gibson in her arms. I take my son from her and say, "Thanks." Then, in the distance I see another lady and two pre-teen girls from the party coming with my other wet faced red eyed child. Carrie takes my dinner plate and I take my daughter from this lady I do not know as these 2 concerned pre-teens look on. So now I have Gibson on one hip and Haven on the other. Carrie is nice enough to put a little more food on my plate. We all head back to the party room. Then I look at my children and say, "Look guys, it takes 4 extra people to help mommy get her food!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know me too well. Yes..I was picturing the kids in the car...alone...in the heat...with strangers all around... :) I love the stories. Keep them coming. Kiss the babies for me!

Daniel and Christy Davis said...

:) Sounds like you need an Aunt Christy around to help you out! I wish I were there! One day maybe we will live close together - but don't count on us moving to OKC! No offense! We love Oklahoma - it it like my favorite state I was born there afterall and about half of my favorite people live there - you're doin' fine Oklahoma - Oklahoma OK!

Anonymous said...

it sounds like you need the kiddos to spend the night at grani and papa's house so you and Andrew can go out for a nice quiet evening together.

Anonymous said...

Funny - I was picturing Grani picturing the kids alone in the car while you ran back in the house to look for the keys! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Mindy said...

So glad to see stories from you. I have been neglecting my blog lately but am still checking everyone elses. Got to feel Sunny's belly kicking this weekend when I visited her...very neat...not good for my hubby though because it makes me miss being pregnant.

Anonymous said...

oh wow...those stories make me tired. they make me thankful for the quietness in my life. :)